WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Please Review a Diffie Hellman diagram

From: Sanjay Rawat <sanjayr () intoto com>
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 16:30:37 +0530

Hi Saqib:

The diagram is nice, but content wise, its not (esp. from Mathematics point of view). The chosen number R & T are not just any number (or just any prime numbers). please see the description below (I was lazy enough to write, so I stole it from a site!!!!):

The protocol has two system parameters p and g. They are both public and may be used by all the users in a system. Parameter p is a prime number and parameter g (usually called a generator) is an integer less than p, with the following property: for every number n between 1 and p-1 inclusive, there is a power k of g such that n = g^k mod p.

Suppose Alice and Bob want to agree on a shared secret key using the Diffie-Hellman key agreement protocol. They proceed as follows: First, Alice generates a random private value a and Bob generates a random private value b. Both a and b are drawn from the set of integers . Then they derive their public values using parameters p and g and their private values. Alice's public value is g^a mod p and Bob's public value is g^b mod p. They then exchange their public values. Finally, Alice computes g^(ab) = (g^b)^a mod p, and Bob computes g^(ba) = (g^a)^b mod p. Since g^(ab) = g^(ba) = k, Alice and Bob now have a shared secret key k.

Also, it your diagram under "step 4", it will be nice if you show the commutative law of multiplication to make the point (ie why both Alice and Bob would have the same number at the end of the protocol) more clear. this point is described in above paragraph -- "Finally, Alice computes.........."

Regards
Sanjay