WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: MD5 math question

From: exon <exon () home se>
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2006 13:59:07 +0100

Tim wrote:
Hi exon,

All this is ofcourse theory. I don't know enough cryptography to determine what is possible and what isn't, but since SHA1 hasn't been broken (yet) and there are enough open and free implementations of it to go around I'm a bit surprised to find that MD5 is considered for use in new applications.

Um...  You didn't get the news about SHA1?

Nopes. Or I bought the propaganda saying "an incorrect implementation of SHA1 has been broken". Shame on me either way. So what are we left with? SHA-<lots-of-numbers-higher-than-1> ?

/exon

Watchfire's AppScan is the industry's first and leading web application security testing suite, and the only solution to provide comprehensive remediation tasks at every level of the application. See for yourself. Download AppScan 6.0 today.

https://www.watchfire.com/securearea/appscansix.aspx?id=701300000003Ssh