WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Cross Site Cooking

From: john-secfocus () o-rourke org
Date: 31 Jan 2006 08:59:17 -0000

It's probably better referring to the cookies RFC (ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc2965.txt) rather than a very
old article (http://www.ciac.org/ciac/bulletins/i-034.shtml).
The RFC doesn't mention anything about numbers of dots and specific domains.

Although it's all definitely a security risk, there's no way all vendors would change the mechanism without keeping
backwards compatibility, it would cause chaos.  So with my sites I always put a checksum in the cookie data, which
allows the website to be certain no clients have altered the data manually.