WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: PCI DSS Compliance

From: "Sebastien Deleersnyder" <sebastien.deleersnyder () ascure com>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 08:28:30 +0100

Hi Ademar,

No, it is not stupid.

One of the requirements of a PCI DSS audit is that the company
who has to perform the scan must be able to do this without being
blocked by IDS (=scan detection software).

The IDS should only be disabled for the scanning company, of course.

Other - more preferable - workaround is to test through a VPN tunnel
that bypasses the IDS, if your network set-up permits it.
That way you do not have to add specific exclusion rules to the IDS
based
on source IP addresses.

One can argue that the presence of IDS is part of the tested
infrastructure,
but Visa/Mcard wanted the scans to be performed without interference of
an
IDS system.
The goal is to test for vulnerabilities on the tested servers. An IDS
will
result in a "distorted" view of the servers.
If the IDS became unavailable for some reason, the servers will become
unprotected if they are not correctly patched and hardened.

Kind regards,

Seba