WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: HTTP REFERER not set in Internet Explorer

From: Jeff Robertson <jeff.robertson () digitalinsight com>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 20:15:27 -0500

I know that IE does not set Referer when going to another page because of
javascript, if that's what this is. This includes both scripts that set
location.href and scripts that call window.open(). Referer only goes for
form submissions and plain old links. For all I know Microsoft might
consider this a "feature".

I'm curious to here more about this Referer-based tracking system. If its
supposed to be to prevent robots from crawling your site or something, you
know they can send referer headers just like a web browser..