WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Encoding Schemes

From: Marcus Williams <marcus () quintic co uk>
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 15:04:36 +0000

On 09/11/2005 Jason binger wrote:
I am reviewing a web app and I would like to know what
encoding scheme they are using to encode their
parameters.

123456 encodes to B8DCCEA11586
ABCDEF encodes to C8ACBED165F6

At a guess its a simple XOR scheme as most people think this is secure if you dont know the "secret" key that its been XOR'd with. The problem with this is, if you know plaintext + cyphertext then if you XOR these together, you know the "secret" password (almost, because they may repeat it or it may be longer than the text etc but you're halfway there - all you need is some longer examples to find this out)

So my guess is that UVWXYZ encodes to DCB8AACD79EA

Am I right or am I right?

Marcus

--
Marcus Williams -- http://www.cad-schroer.co.uk
CAD Schroer UK, 39 Newnham Road, Cambridge, UK