WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Encoding Schemes

From: "David Knapman" <davidk () cccs co uk>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 14:02:07 -0000

If we're trying to fathom this out from first principals, I don't think there's enough here to get started. At the
moment, all we know is that the second hex digit of every byte comes out the same in both sequences. However, since
both sequences share the same low-order nibbles when encoded in hex, that doesn't necessarily help yet.

Next thing to look at is - is position important. If you rotate one of the sequences (say, try putting through BCDEFA,
CDEFAB, etc), does the encoded output just rotate, or is it completely transformed. Finally, chuck through the complete
upper and lowercase alphabets, so that we have all of the low-order nibble posibilities, and some more material to work
with.