WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Re: Article - A solution to phishing

From: RSnake <rsnake () shocking com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 08:50:04 -0700 (PDT)

        This is actually a really bad security system.  All you have to
        know is any username of a user on the system, and then you can
        download the resulting JS files and brute force the password
        offline at your leisure.  The only vaguely difficult part is the
        OCR that would confirm the password is correct.  If you think
        this solves phishing, think again.  The bad guys could simply
        replay each possible password to the target as each keystroke
        came across the wire.  When the correct one was found they could
        display the accutrust logo.  Sorry, this is actually worse than
        just having a normal username password pair.