WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: NTLM and man-in-the-middle proxies not working

From: lists () dawes za net
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 08:50:02 -0400

Quoting "Amit Klein (AKsecurity)" <aksecurity () hotpop com>:

On 19 Sep 2005 at 10:52, Eoin Keary wrote:

I find Burp works well for MITM stuff

From a private correspondence with Eoin, I understand that he didn't use IE
for this test,
so this information does not confirm/disprove anything about the phenomenon
we discuss in
this thread.

For what it is worth as a data point, Michael Silk has had success in the past
using WebScarab to proxy SPNEGO authentication.

WebScarab did not (and does not currently) set the "Proxy-Support" header
mentioned below, so there seems to be some inconsistency here.

What happens is that the complete negotiation is visible in WebScarab.
i.e.
Request -> 401 Unauthorised (with auth schemes)
Request (with Negotiate) -> 401 Unauthorised (with a challenge)
Request (with Negotiate) -> 200

repeated for each new connection made.

Subsequent requests in the same connection SHOULD (I have no evidence either
way) not result in the 401's, since it is a connection oriented authentication,
rather than request oriented.

Here is the user-agent string from the log he showed me:

1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.40607)

Maybe Michael can supply more details? Or maybe someone with access to
appropriate client and server environment (Amit?) could perform some tests
using WebScarab as their proxy?

Regards,

Rogan