WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: looking for stats

From: Michael Boman <michael.boman () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 12:51:49 +0800

On 8/26/05, Andrew van der Stock <vanderaj () greebo net> wrote:
The trick is that researchers do not use the word "hacking".

I know I don't use the term as it widely and incorrectly used. As we
cannot claim the word back from the media, I do not use it. With
consistent effort on our part, maybe "hacker" will end up like
"prithee" or "apothecary" and other out of favor words.

And I use the terms "Attacker" and "Victim" to describe the peoples
role in an incident. I only use the term "Hacker" when I describe so
cool hack, as in making something do something it wasn't originally
thought of or intended - Like loading a custom firmware to a Linksys
router to provide extra functionality.

Best regards
  Michael Boman

--