WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Entrust - Identity Guard - Any experience?

From: "ken kousky" <kkousky () ip3inc com>
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 20:15:56 -0400

I agree completely with the shortcoming but I would suggest that it is far
less serve a threat than strong passwords which are not something you can
possibly know so they have to be something you have yet lack appropriate
awareness or management.

I believe that an ID card you manage, knowing it's a security factor, such
as ID Guard, along with something you know - a simple password, would be a
dramatic improvement over the plague of strong passwords afflicting most
systems today ....and it is cost effective in many situations.

Stronger tokens might be stronger security but one has to test to know if
stronger security is an economically desired state.

My issue is still that far too many security professionals tolerating strong
passwords when they are the number one source of denial of service by
creating false positives on legitimate users.

There are cheaper and more powerful solutions.

KWK