WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: keyloggers? - dont doit

From: James.Barkley () noaa gov
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 01:23:27 -0500

The two major attacks you have to look at:

1.  Spyware/keylogger - very real threat
  If your provider offers secure auth mechanism such as OTP (one-time
password) this is no threat.  Dual authentication means nothing if you
have a keystroke logger.  Also, if OTP is used, you have to be sure
that your provider codes against race conditions (e.g. I keylog 95% of
your OTP and brute force the other 5%).

2.  Man-in-the-middle attack - less real but real threat (IMHO)
  First, you can verify with an individual provider (cybercafe, etc.)
if they provide their own DNS and what they do to protect against
spoofing.  Second, if you cannot verify this, then you are susceptible
to Man-in-the-middle-attack (I establish ssl and joe-hacker intercepts,
establishes ssl with me and also establishes ssl with end host, then
translates from me to end host).  Someone has to be dedicated to
perform this, but in public spaces it is more right than wrong to
expect a dedicated hacker.  If someone performs man-in-the-middle I
don't know what you can do.

my 2 cents

-Jim