WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Should login pages be protected by SSL?

From: Amir Herzberg <herzbea () macs biu ac il>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 17:52:08 +0200

Saqib Ali wrote:
Hello,

In my opinion protecting the login using SSL is  a good idea, and I do
it myself. However it does not prevent from phishing etc. A phishing
site owner can easily get a SSL protected website as well.
I agree; however now this is a question of user awareness and of browser indicators of site identity and security. I agree, and even have done usability testing showing, that current browser UI provides inadequet indicators, definitely for most (naive) users. See paper in my site.

I think a better approach is to use Netcraft Anti-Phishing toolbar <
http://toolbar.netcraft.com/ >
I agree users should install (and be encouraged to install) a browser extension providing improved security and identification UI. As an open-source research project, we develop TrustBar, currently for FireFox and soon also for IE; I'll appreciate your opinion. Download at https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=478.

It clearly displays sites' hosting location, including country,
helping you to evaluate fraudulent urls (e.g. the real citibank.com or
barclays.co.uk sites are unlikely to be hosted in the former Soviet
Union).
The problem is that they go to a centralized server for all this - privacy and performance concerns, imho...

TrustBar displays name/logo of site and of CA, and allows users to assign their own name/logo to the site (`petname`).

--
Best regards,

Amir Herzberg

Associate Professor