WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Should login pages be protected by SSL?

From: Saqib Ali <docbook.xml () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 07:15:08 -0700

In my opinion protecting the login using SSL is  a good idea, and I do
it myself. However it does not prevent from phishing etc. A phishing
site owner can easily get a SSL protected website as well.

I think a better approach is to use Netcraft Anti-Phishing toolbar <
http://toolbar.netcraft.com/ >

It clearly displays sites' hosting location, including country,
helping you to evaluate fraudulent urls (e.g. the real citibank.com or
barclays.co.uk sites are unlikely to be hosted in the former Soviet
Union).

--
In Peace,
Saqib Ali