WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Passing Credentials in the clear- Possible fixes

From: "Lyal Collins" <lyal.collins () key2it com au>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 08:11:34 +1100

If your firm is like most, they will have activity audit requirements for
infrastructue and user activity.
Simply put, you can't get much reliability in audit trails by logging and
securing things at an infrastructure level, then assume that the application
is safely audited, user-level auditing also needs to occur in the
applications layer.

Credentials passed in the clear are invitations for misuse of credentials,
invalidating the value of any application audits.

Anything from a simple user/password/sessionID hash up to an electronic
signature solution (not necessarily PKI based) will do, usin SSL to
encapsulate the traffic away from sniffing eyes.

Lyal