WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: secure storage of sensitive data in J2EE

From: Kevin Conaway <kevin.conaway () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 09:36:49 -0500

Forcing the garbage collector to run in Java is considered bad practice

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 22:49:30 -0500, Ashish Popli <apopli () gmail com> wrote:
Cant we simply force garbage collection when you are done using the object?
Here is a link.
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/essential/system/garbage.html

Kevin Conaway wrote:

A followup question:

Once the data (be it a password or a key) has been read into memory,
what is an effective and secure way of minimizing the window that the
plaintext key or password is in memory?

If the data is read into a char [] and then overwritten with junk
data, would that work?

Kevin