WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Whitepaper "SESSION RIDING - A Widespread Vulnerability in Today's Web Applications"

From: "Scovetta, Michael V" <Michael.Scovetta () ca com>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 12:09:50 -0500

Sverre,

Also, in general, many clients are either behind proxies or have IP
addresses that change very frequently (AOL comes to mind, but I'm sure
there are others)-- I'm not sure if this is simply AOL masking the
source IP or whether the DHCP lease is just very short, but the rule is:
  "In general, you should assume that the source IP of a client will not
remain constant during any meaningful length of time."

At least, that's my take on it.

Regards,

Michael Scovetta
Computer Associates