WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Fwd: PHP Easter Eggs

From: exon <exon () home se>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 09:53:56 +0100

Saqib.N.Ali () seagate com wrote:

Hello Andi,

I wouldn't classify this is a easter egg, especially since PHP provides a
way to disable it, and also because it is not something the PHP group is
trying to hide. Infact the setting to enable/disable this is very clearly
stated in the php.ini, and is called "expose_php" .

It is used for exposing what the webserver is running, just like server
signature e.g. "Apache/1.3.26 (Unix) mod_gzip/1.3.26.1a PHP/4.3.3-dev " .

Still, if you turn off the apache server-signature but leave the expose_php = On, you can get to know that PHP is actually running by trying one or more of these Eggs. It's a Bad Thing (tm) if you ask me.

The code should be removed from PHP altogether since it doesn't exactly provide much in the way of functionality. Possibly php_credits() could be added as a function, the way php_info() is now. That way nobody could glean information unawares, but the info would still be there if you need it (and it would be much easier to come by).

Thanks.
Saqib Ali
http://validate.sf.net