WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Fwd: PHP Easter Eggs

From: RSnake <rsnake () shocking com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 09:58:30 -0800 (PST)

        Congrats, Andi on finding this.  It's just another great way to
        do fingerprinting on a site (this should probably be built into
        scanning tools as it's a pretty reliable fingerprint).  You can
        find out which version is running as they are nice enough
        to tell you in the credits and the images are different in
        different versions.  So far I have found a number of
        sites with very old versions by using this technique.  I'm
        almost sure this could be used as another type of attack vector
        where you just need a PHP script to return a lot of data to
        another PHP script.  I realize this can be turned off but in the
        10 minutes of checking not one of the sites I looked at had.

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004, Andi McLean wrote:

| Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 13:21:38 +0000
| From: Andi McLean <andi_mclean () ntlworld com>
| To: webappsec () securityfocus com
| Subject: Fwd: PHP Easter Eggs
|
| Hi,
|
| Does anyone know about the easter eggs in PHP?
| I've just found out about them, My trust in PHP has just had a major set back,
| as I'm wondering what other easter eggs there are and can any be used to
| circumenvent the protection I have on my site.
| I feel like I now need to have a look at the source code, to find out what
| else is there.
|
| <anywebsite.that/uses.php>?=PHPE9568F36-D428-11d2-A769-00AA001ACF42
|
| <anywebsite.thatuses.php>?=PHPB8B5F2A0-3C92-11d3-A3A9-4C7B08C10000
|
| <anywebsite.thatuses.php>?=PHPE9568F34-D428-11d2-A769-00AA001ACF42
|
| eg
| www.jsane.com/index.php?=PHPE9568F36-D428-11d2-A769-00AA001ACF42
| www.jsane.com/index.php?=PHPB8B5F2A0-3C92-11d3-A3A9-4C7B08C10000
| www.jsane.com/index.php?=PHPE9568F34-D428-11d2-A769-00AA001ACF42
|

| Andi

-R

privileged.  It is intended solely for the addressee.  Access to
this email by anyone else is unauthorized.  If you are not the
intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any
action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it is
expressly prohibited and may be unlawful.