WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Article - A solution to phishing

From: Peter Conrad <conrad () tivano de>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 08:58:52 +0100

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 23, 2004 at 02:40:30PM +1100, Michael Silk wrote:

    Just a quick little article about a login system that, should (i
think :)), prevent phishing attempts on your site.

http://michaelsilk.blogspot.com/2004/11/article-solution-to-phishing.html

    Have a look at it and let me know what you think ... and apologies
to anyone if an idea like this is already out there :)

you have missed what I think is the most important disadvantage:
delivery of email is anything but instantaneous.
Apart from unwanted downtime of SMTP servers, certain anti-spam measures
can introduce a delay *on purpose*. SMTP wasn't designed to be fast, it
was designed to be reliable.

Bye,
        Peter
--
Peter Conrad                        Tel: +49 6102 / 80 99 072
[ t]ivano Software GmbH             Fax: +49 6102 / 80 99 071

Germany