WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: TrustBar and insecure sites of PayPal, MS Passport, Yahoo!, Chase, ...

From: "Yvan G.J. Boily" <yboily () seccuris com>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 23:31:33 -0500

The point Mr. Wall was trying to make is that using SSL to "protect" a login
page prior to the actual (HTTP Verb) which submits the credentials to the
web server does nothing to prevent a user from falling victim to a spoofed
web page.

Your trustbar tool is essentially just another way of putting information in
front of the users face, however it does nothing that isn't already
available.  Since the "trustbar" is not part of the default distribution of
a browser it will not do much to further awareness, or protect a user.  This
is more so the case because a user who has the understanding to install the
software will generally not be caught by a phishing scam or fooled by a
spoofed server.

The idea of adding adding SSL to the actual page as a means to protect the
user promotes a "security oriented process" which in essence, provides 0
(zero) additional security.

As a slight aside, it seems to me that you have misunderstood the intention
of the "padlock" icon beside the Chase login.  When I went to www.chase.com
and saw the padlock, my first inclination was to click it.  Did I do this
because it makes sense to me?  No, my first inclination is to inspect both
the "action" field of the form, and the SSL certificate.  I did this because
I asked my girlfriend to tell me if it was secure or not, and she said if
you click on the padlock, it will usually tell you.  You know, she is not
exactly a computer n00b, but neither is she extremely aware of computers and
security either.  I would rate her just a touch above the average user,
skewed in the time we have been dating because of exposure to my paranoia*
(*her word, not mine).

The reason this is important is because you claim the "lock" icon is
misleading.  I say that the lock icon is more intuitive than a "trust bar"
or the SSL warnings.  People using e-commerce sites have been indoctrinated
to "look for the padlock" and "click on it for more information".

It is my opinion that you are likely doing more damage than good by
spreading fear, uncertainty, and doubt about a widely used, and commonly
accepted practice to which your proposed solution does essentially nothing
about.

I apologize if this seems unduly harsh, but I think that you may have lost
sight of the intended audience during
your academic pursuits.

Regards,

Yvan

Ps.
The final statement in your message --

Here you are wrong; the problem is at the mail paypal site so many users
- even not naive - may reach this site.

Bears clarification.. If you mean the email message is the issue, you are in
fact, correct.  Email clients and web browsers should provide a built in
means to assess and modify information being sent in a HTTP request or in a
link (including reverse DNS of the IP address) to provide a higher level of
awareness.  Again, this will only be valuable if the users of said feature
are reasonably aware as well.