WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Potential XSS errors when using information from HTTP requests

From: "Calderon, Juan Carlos (GE Commercial Finance, NonGE)" <juan.calderon () ge com>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 10:12:41 -0400

I can see a potential XSS issue in the first option, since Java contains a design issue allowing you to obtain
information sent though GET or POST (and as far I can see HTTP headers) using the same sentence and with no form to
change this behaviour(I mean calling request.getParameter).

In the event you enter a URL field and a Form field with the same name and sent them to the server the URL field will
take precedence and thus be taken by request.getParameter. Therefore, adding a REFERER parameter to an URL (probably?)
will take precedence over HTTP header as well.

A little more research will confirm or discart this issue using an HTTP header.

Best Regards,
-Juan Carlos Calderon