WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: RSA vs. Versigin. How do I choose?

From: "Shivangi Nadkarni" <shivangi () safescrypt com>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 12:04:18 +0530

Hi,

Firstly, what kind of certs are you looking for? If you are looking for SSL
certs, then RSA does not offer the same - u have to choose from VeriSign,
Geotrust, etc.

However, if you are looking for client certs (certs issued to individuals,
for eg), then you need to make a choice between subscribing to a " managed
service" (which is what VeriSign offers) or setting up the entire CA
infrastructure in house (which is what RSA offers). Both options have its
pros and cons - but a general thumb rule is that if you are not looking at
smaller number of certs (like upto say 5000 numbers), it is far more cost
effective as well as hassle-free to go with the VeriSign option. It also
offers you a lot of flexibility, scalability and also interoperability with
most browsers and email programs.

Hope this helps!

rgds
Shivangi