WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Recent App Test

From: Rogan Dawes <discard () dawes za net>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 10:33:53 +0200

ramatkal () hotmail com wrote:

During a recent Application pen test I came across a url of the form:

http://www.vulnsite.com/cgi-bin/vulnscript.jsp?url=www.website.com&id=12345

I changed the url parameter to something like url=www.google.com and google appeared in my browser. Next, i changed the
url to url=www.whatismyip.com, hoping that the ip address of the webserver would be displayed, however, only my ip
address was displayed.

This means that my browser is loading the url parameter as opposed to the webserver script fethching the url and then
displaying it for me in my browser right? Is this a security issue?

Basically this means that someone could include undesirable content as part of that site. e.g. send someone a link to the company's site, that includes some pornographic/racist/etc content. The original person will think that the original site is serving that content, and reputational damage will result.

Note that this is NOT the webserver retrieving the page, and relaying it to you, your browser is fetching the page. So, you cannot use this to anonymously portscan hosts on the internet. You probably CAN use this to do cross site scripting, if you explore reformatting the URL, and including some HTML or script elements in that parameter.

Look at the exact response to that request, using something like webscarab or another intercepting proxy, and see exactly where the url parameter is placed in the response. That will guide you in manipulating the parameters appropriately.

Rogan
--
Rogan Dawes

*ALL* messages to discard () dawes za net will be dropped, and added
to my blacklist. Please respond to "lists AT dawes DOT za DOT net"