WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: successful anonymous login

From: "dave kleiman" <dave () isecureu com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 23:36:53 -0400

Jose,

I apologies to all if I missed something earlier in the thread and repeat
it.

1.  Look over:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;867716&Product=winsv
r2003  this is Understanding and evaluating Microsoft Internet Information
Services authentication (not poking fun) but should be pre migration review.

2. And
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;812614&Product=iis60
these are your default IIS6 perms.  You can check them manually or you can,
end an e-mail to authdiag () microsoft com request a copy of AuthDiag 1.0 RC 2,
they respond fast and this tool lets you verify the perms, and perform many
other Authentication checks against your IIS server.

3. NTLMSsp is the NT LM Security Support Provider. Type 3 indicates Network
Logon.

4. Install URLScan see:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/tools/urlscan.mspx#XSLTsection1231
21120120  to decide if this fits your needs.

5.  Without out knowing  more about your setup, which would be helpful for
indicating security settings to help, you should at the very least set the
following:
You can edit by hand or:

________________ cut and paste into a .reg file_________________

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa]
"SecureBoot"=dword:00000001
"auditbaseobjects"=dword:00000000
"crashonauditfail"=dword:00000001
"disabledomaincreds"=dword:00000001
"everyoneincludesanonymous"=dword:00000000
"forceguest"=dword:00000000
"fullprivilegeauditing"=hex:01
"limitblankpassworduse"=dword:00000001
"lmcompatibilitylevel"=dword:00000005
"nodefaultadminowner"=dword:00000001
"nolmhash"=dword:00000001
"restrictanonymous"=dword:00000001
"restrictanonymoussam"=dword:00000001
"SubmitControl"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\MSV1_0]
"ntlmminclientsec"=dword:20080030
"ntlmminserversec"=dword:20080030

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager]
"ProtectionMode"=dword:00000001
"SafeDllSearchMode"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\kernel]
"obcaseinsensitive"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory
Management]
"ClearPageFileAtShutdown"=dword:00000001

Once again it would be nice to hear a little more about your setup (i.e. SQL
or other Database, Cold Fussion, ASP.NET etc.. etc..) this would or could
change permissions needed on various items.

Dave Kleiman, CISSP, CISM, CIFI, MCSE
www.SecurityBreachResponse.com