WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Growing Bad Practice with Login Forms

From: "Thomas Schreiber" <ts () securenet de>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 16:56:43 +0200

I see a problem at the semantic level: People should be educated to look at
the unfakeable Browser Icon - and not at some promise inside the webpage -
to convince themselves that the connection is secure *before* they send
sensitive data. What if the button promises 'Secure Login' but after sending
they realized it wasn't - it's to late, the password may already have been
sniffed by some colleague on the same wire.

If people learn at websites they trust, that the browser icon *always*
indicates a secure connection before they send sensitive data, then they
will automatically behave correctly if they encounter a website where this
is not the case: they get suspicious and think twice about clicking the send
button or not.

So I second: bad practice.

Beste Gru?e
Thomas Schreiber