WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: SQL Injection

From: gcb33 () dial pipex com
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 12:38:45 +0100

F.

Little area, from my experience is that you can use it to cross validate  users
input to the system and the reponse back is correct. (will not validate the
request is true, but that response is correct) example follows.

Simple example,
Banking Application
input validation <--> output validation cross check request

User input's his account number (for account history for example) The output
validation would make sure that the data displayed back to the user is of what
was expected of the input requested by the user.

I've seen on extreme cases under heavy load components failing on big internet
banking platforms, and superreuse data is thrown back, it would be the last trap
all case, Of course this would be part of the total validation components of a
system Front-Middle-Back etc.....;)

Area which i'm investigating of interest were it might be of more use would be
of more use is in multilingual sites that have the back-end in ASCII message
format mainframe or middleware platforms,

say the users input is in Chinese but the back in ASCII, you can see the options
for abuse in the system all those conversions and translations sometimes they do
and can sneek through.

with the output validator you can start trapping bad junk from the systems at
hand if needed , not ideal but sometimes needed,

my thoughts

;o)
J.