WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: SQL Injection

From: "Scovetta, Michael V" <Michael.Scovetta () ca com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 16:27:32 -0400

What if their name was O'Henry? Security must be paramount to the
developer, but invisible to the client. Best choice: parameterized
queries. Second best: have a stored procedure make the modification.
Third: filter IN good characters. Forth: filter OUT bad characters.

Since I started using parameterized queries (via Java's
PreparedStatement object), I haven't run into a single SQL injection
issue. My hat's off to the developers for a clean, easy to use
interface.

IMHO, this is the way of the 'future'-- addslashes() and other hacks are
always going to suffer from special cases that get missed, or DBMS
oddities like strange escape sequences.

Michael Scovetta
Computer Associates
Application Developer