WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: [OWASP-GUIDE] Question concerning usage of languages for webapps

From: "Chris Todd" <chris () christophertodd com>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 21:46:16 -0400

Ofer,

While the statistics you cite regarding the distribution of programming
languages in commercial web apps are probably accurate (they certainly jive
with my experience), I have to admit that I find your bias towards
commercial web apps troubling.

OWASP does not exist solely to improve the security of commercial web
applications, it exists to improve the security of *ALL* web applications,
and in that respect PHP is *way* more important than ASP/ASP.NET/.NET/Java,
because there are thousands of PHP applications out there that desperately
need to be improved, and there are many more PHP-enabled apache web servers
than there are IIS servers (see Netcraft).

Anyone who cares about the security of the Internet as a whole understands
that we need to teach as many people as possible how to write secure web
apps, because every insecure web app, wherever it may be on the Internet,
and whatever language it is written in, is a possible attack vector against
our systems.  Every cross site scripting attack that can be used to
compromise a client machine, every SQL injection attack that can reveal
sensitive data, every web server that gets rooted because of an insecure
PHP/Perl/C CGI script, is another platform for launching attacks.

While it may sound like a pipe dream to some, I honestly believe that OWASP
can make a contribution to the overall security of the Internet by removing
the low-hanging fruit hackers use to compromise web apps.  Teach web app
developers to do just a few things differently, to be just a little
paranoid, to validate all input, and the hackers have to work a lot harder.
Anything that makes hackers' lives more difficult is a Good Thing(TM) in my
book.

Therefore, in my opinion (for however many cents it's worth), PHP should be
the number one language the Guide focuses on.  Of course, it should include
coverage of Java, the MS technologies, and probably also Perl, but PHP
should receive it's strongest and deepest focus, because that's where the
Guide can make the greatest impact.

Regards,
Chris