WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: [OWASP-GUIDE] Question concerning usage of languages for webapps

From: "Imperva Application Defense Center" <adc () imperva com>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 14:05:16 +0200

Dear List,

I have to say I find the results troublingm, as they are very
open-source oriented, rather than real-world industry oriented.

Our company has performed several hundred PT's in the last few years.
Only very few were PHP (less than 5). I agree you may find many PHP
sites online, but the majority of these sites are free or small sites.
Most commercial organizations that run business applications do not use
PHP, but rather one of the commercial infrastructures. Same reference
goes to perl. Perl has lost most of its popularity in real world web
applications. It can still be seen often, again, in non commercial
sites, yet it is not as widely used as it was used 5-7 years ago, when
CGI's were the main stream of web applcations.

On the other hand, I find the low ranking of ASP applications very
surprising. This is, of course, an old technology, which is slowly being
replaced with ASP.Net, yet is still widely used (and probably still used
a lot more than ASP.Net). Therefore, although new applications written
from scratch are likely to be written in ASP.Net, there is a lot of code
that is still being written in ASP, as part of existing applications,
which makes it, in my opinion, probably the most important or second
most important infrastructure.

It is my belief that such as document should refer to what's mostly used
in the industry, and therefore put the two main commercial technologies
(mainly ASP/ASP.Net and Java/JSP) as the top priority. As for other
content infrastructure, such as ColdFusion, Vignette, DB-Specific
environments, etc - There are so many of them, that I think there should
be general guidelines, which shold be written clear enough so that
developers will be able to deduct from them about the specific
technology in use.

Sincerely,

Ofer Maor
Application Defense Center Manager