WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Secure Coding? Bah!

From: Juridian <Juridian () Juridian com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 21:46:30 -0800

The SANS/GIAC security essentials course online lasts about 6 months but can
be done in less.  That course provides a general security overview covering
many areas including windows, unix, intrusion detection, auditing, web
security, and the cissp cbk.  I think that most major institutions could
cobble together something similar that they could teach in a quarter or two
at the very least if they don't have one already.

Something similar could be done for a class to teach secure software
development practices.

I think part of the problem stems from the fact that a majority of the books
out there that teach development teach bad habits.  A prime example that a
colleague pointed out to me today is that the majority of ASP 3.0 books teach
people to use inline sql (ignoring stored procedures) and rarely if ever show
the reader how to check the validity of the input much less protect against
sql injection.

Knowledge of security keeps you from making silly mistakes that open your
company up to liability when your users private information becomes not so
private due to poor configuration of your application servers, or poor coding
practices opening you up to sql injection attacks, or poor authentication
techniques.  It even keeps fraud to a minimum on your favorite multiplayer
online game.  That is what I want.

- Ernie

However, there is more to computer science than security!  A full course of
study focusing on security may not be as useful as it sounds.  Don't forget
data structures, algorithms, databases, graphics, etc.  When you look at
it, security doesn't really DO anything.  Do you really want a program that
doesn't accomplish anything, other than being secure?