WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: HIPAA security requirements

From: Matt Kenigson <president () sheergenius com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 11:06:49 -0600

David (and all):

First of all, thank you for all your great replies. This is a great list. I think David's suggestion (quoted below) is a good one. The language in my current boilerplate contract that I think will need to be modified is thus:

"Provider will work with Client to jointly ensure that all Services are performed in accordance with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996, as amended, any applicable regulations (proposed or final) promulgated thereunder, and any other applicable laws and regulations."

I'm thinking that a better clause would be one that specifically mentions that we will take all reasonable measures to insure that the app will not be vulnerable to known attacks as of <date>. Then again, part of me wonders whether such language should be in my boilerplate at all. After all, if the client is lax about enforcing security compliance, why should I shoulder the burden for them? (Other than it's the right thing to do -- but I'm thinking about contractual liability here).

Thanks,

Matt

Looking into the future, I think that you can rest assured the if you do due
security diligence now you should be safe.  Clauses such as "warrantied
against volnerablities and exploits that are know as of <data>" would most
likely cover you for most issues.  This way the customer does not get the idea
that you are warrantying against what is unknown.