WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: tips to secure a web application

From: ".Saphyr" <saphyr () infomaniak ch>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 03:36:00 +0100

Hi Matthieu,
I haven't looked at your tutorial yet but will do later. Do you have
something for Java? We don't use SQL server, we use JDBC. Does it mean that
we have fewer risks?
Thanks,
Annie

Hi there,

You do not have fewer risks by using jdbc support for database
communication. SQL injection flaws are related to an upper layer:
the sql language, as jdbc only gives you a wrapper to access
many database providers (sql 2000, oracle, odbc, ...).

You can however mitigate a lot the sql/command injection flaws
by using the prepared statements classes (precompiled sql requests
on which only parameters are added at runtime) with jdbc.

For more information , just google 'java prepared statements'.

If you have questions related to secure java web development (methods
and best practices), I'd be very interrested if you'd send them to me.

I am currently writing a manual* adressing security issues in web oriented
development, specificaly for developers. I wrote the most examples in
php and asp but if there's a jsp demand, i'd add it...

.antoine

*: Web applications security: the developers handbook
(should be released by end of march, freely)