WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: htaccess with apache

From: Lucas Holt <luke () foolishgames com>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 16:44:02 -0500

How is it possible to read the files secured with mod_access
with a cgi script?

The webserver in most setups starts a "fresh" copy of the CGI program. Basically it runs a separate program. mod_access is an apache module and only affects the apache program and not any programs that apache might start.

I would recommend changing programs or filtering out special characters as other have suggested. Also look into running apache as a separate user. Don't run it as root or nobody.

Lucas Holt
Luke () FoolishGames com
FoolishGames.com  (Jewel Fan Site)
JustJournal.com (Free blogging)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)