WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: htaccess with apache

From: Peter Conrad <conrad () tivano de>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 14:28:45 +0100

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 10:43:41AM -0000, Hans Mueller wrote:

I've got a mail from someone that my Webserver (Apache 1.3.20)is not
secure. In the Mail he attached the files .htaccess und passwd
which are really from my Web-Server.

I've got some simple cgi-Scripts on my server and he said
he used one of them (XXXXXX.ziel.cgi?template=maske1.html.....)
to get the files. I thought a Directory secured with mod_access
cannot be read/accessed without the proper password.
Unfortunately the guy is not answering to my eMails
and I want to secure my Webserver. Even if he just read
the Files (Tripwire didn't show any changes), and didn't
wrote something to the server.

How is it possible to read the files secured with mod_access
with a cgi script?

probably due to a security bug in said cgi script. A wild guess would be
that he called XXXXXX.ziel.cgi?template=.htaccess or
XXXXXX.ziel.cgi?template=/etc/passwd . Check your apache logfile, it'll
probably contain the bad requests.

Btw, if you need professional support just give us a call. ;-)

Bye,
        Peter
--
Peter Conrad                        Tel: +49 6102 / 80 99 072
[ t]ivano Software GmbH             Fax: +49 6102 / 80 99 071

Germany