WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Open Source Certificate authority

From: "Lapinski, Michael (Research)" <lapinski () crd ge com>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 14:04:47 -0400

This is not a simple issue of accepting a cert and keeping it.
It is a question of does the cert actually hold any water.

The purpose of companies like verisign (who yes are a money
grubbing entity raping the end user) is that they have been
established as "trusted" sources of certificates. What I mean
by trusted is that when you get a cert that has been signed
by one of these you can be sure that the enitity is who they
claim to be.

If you setup your own certificate authority and manage your
own infrastructure then I would think of it as appropriate
that you advise yoru customers to accept the "untrusted"
certificate that comes from your certificate authority and
save it. If you don't want to do this your stuck shelling
out cash to verisign. It's trade off depending on how many
certs you need.

-mtl

Michael Lapinski
Computer Scientist
GE Research

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
            - IBM Chairman Thomas Watson, 1943