WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Open Source Certificate authority

From: Alex Russell <alex () netWindows org>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 12:28:40 -0500

On Tuesday 23 September 2003 11:10, Jared Ingersoll wrote:
Thanks for all of the useful info. Let me narrow my request one step more
so I don't spend any time installing and configuring something that does
not work.

OpenSSL will in all likelyhood work. Whether or not it does what you want is
another question entirely.

The point of using an alternate Certificate Authority is to
mimic the exact communication between the client and server. Our
application has an interface to it that 3rd parties develop their own tools
to utilize. These tools are not browsers. Anything like a certificate
warning for the certificate authority, mismatch domain name or (expiration)
will cause the exchange of information to fail (or error out). The
automated tools we use in testing behave the same. So to clarify:

1. Is there an app that anyone is familiar with that will duplicate
Verisign's Certificate Authority in a way that would eliminate any type of
warning. (It seems like apache and openssl are out).

I think you fundamentally missunderstand what a CA does and the service it
provides. If you could just "duplicate" the Verisign/Thawte/whoever CA, you
could issue snakeoil certs that were for all mathematical purposes actually
derived from their root of trust. The security implications of this are
pretty self-evident.

2. Does freshmeats.com's CAtool, MS Cert Authority, or any other software
supply certificates that would not present any warning message?

The way to avoid error messages is to register your home-grown CA with the
clients that are going to be attempting to verify the certs you present. Any
competently designed PKI client will allow for CA addition and revocation.
Barring that, you will have to rely on the chain of trust already embedded in
the clients, which requires going through the CA's already registered with
them (one way or another). There is no third option.

I STRONGLY suggest you find a good primer on PKI as your question implies a
basic missunderstanding of what gurantees PKI will and will not provide you.

Regards.

--
Alex Russell
alex () burstlib net    BD10 7AFC 87F6 63F9 1691 83FA 9884 3A15 AFC9 61B7