WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Flash sites

From: RSnake <rsnake () shocking com>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 08:23:26 -0700 (PDT)

        I am having a hard time understanding how that is a security hole, or a
security fix.  If there is no secure information in the Flash file to begin
with, and he is simply interested in securing the webserver, and it makes no
outside calls to databases or scripts of any kind, it is not a dangerous
binary.  Further, using multiple flash files wouldn't stop anything.

        If you can decompile one flash movie, you can see where it points to
for the next flash movie ("/flash/secure_movie.swf") and then go directly to
that file, decompile it, etc...  I'm assuming everyone realizes putting
sensitive information inside a flash file is the same thing as hiding it in
html.  If it gets viewed by the client it was sent over a network (which could
be dangerous) and it is stored in memory on the client which can then closely
examine it.

        This is all using the assumtion that John gave us, and that the
Flash movie does not use any calls to local scripts on the host.  A lot of
people on this list are coming up with arguments about how to use Flash to
break into databases, but John said that is not the way his site is built.