Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Windows Vista winsat.exe Integer Overflow

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 22:33:07 -0400

On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 13:39:36 PDT, "Thor (Hammer of God)" said:

So, if you have someone who is going to run as administrator anyway,
download the untrusted .exe, execute it, and then confirm the execution
of the program without concern for what happens, we can't really fault
the OS for that at this point in the game.

I wasn't faulting the OS - I was pointing out it's still a viable attack
vector, despite the OS's best efforts to stop it.