Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Java - JRE, SDK Java Web Start

From: jfvanmeter () comcast net
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 21:06:59 +0000

Hello Sapa3a, so if I wrote called that would place a called down c:\program files\myprogram\jre\1.5.0_09 and then
convinced a user to run in it "Internet Explorer" or possible Outlook, or just good old "Windows" you don't think I
could exploit a vulnerability in that version?

I know with the Sun Java Web Start vulnerability there are several workaround if you can't update to the newest version
of jre

To work around this vulnerability, if you are not actively using Java WebStart, remove the .jnlp content type
association in your registry:

- HKLM:Software\Classes\.jnlp
- HKLM:Software\Classes\JNLPfile
- HKLM:Sofrware\Classes\MIME\Database\Content Type\application/x-java-jnlp-file

By deleting these registry keys, Java WebStart will no longer be used to open .jnlp files, thereby mitigation this
vulnerability.

Other work abounds

- Disable Java Web Start applications from being launched from a web browser:
Internet Explorer:
Right click on the "Start" button and select "Explore"
In the "Start Menu" window, select "Tools" => "Folder Options"
From the "Folder Options" window, select the "File Types" tab
From the "Registered File Types" window, scroll down and locate the
"JNLP - JNLP File"
Select the "JNLP - JNLP File" and click the "Delete" button

- On Windows, applications may also be launched from the desktop icon or from the "Start" menu if a shortcut was
previously created for an application. Unknown applications should not be launched through the desktop icon or the
Start Menu. Shortcuts can be removed by using the Java Web Start Application Manager through the "Application/Remove
Shortcut" menu item. For more information, see:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/javaws/developersguide/overview.html

- It is also possible to launch applications through the command line in Windows. Unknown applications should not be
launched through the command line. Sites may consider renaming the Java Web Start launcher ("javaws.exe" for Windows)
to prevent Java Web Start from launching.

The launcher can be found at C:\Program Files\java\j2re1.5.0\javaws\javaws.exe (or down my path c:\program
files\myprogram\jre\1.5.0_09\javaws.exe)

Sun Java WebStart JNLP Stack Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
Patch Information http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/archive/1/473224/100/0/threaded

Security Focus -  http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/24832

So I think JRE can be exploited directly on a "WINDOWS" system

Best Regards --John

From: 3APA3A <3APA3A () SECURITY NNOV RU>
Dear jfvanmeter () comcast net,

 Vulnerability  in JRE itself can not be exploited directly. It can only
 be  exploited  through  some  JAVA-enabled application, browser in most
 cases. In case of e.g. JAVA-based Cisco VoIP software, vulnerability in
 JRE  can only be exploited in case vulnerability is in in some function
 used  with  remote  user-supplied  arguments. It's rare enough case for
 Java.  In  this  case,  I believe, Cisco (or write any different vendor
 here)  should issue an update for it's software. It's not necessary for
 Cisco  to  update  software every time JRE is updated, if vulnerability
 doesn't affect Cisco product installation.