Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Kaspersky AntiVirus Window Caption GUI Bypass Vulnerability

From: Tony Montana <c4p0ne () hush com>
Date: 30 Sep 2004 16:10:08 -0000

I have discovered that the GUI part of KAV v5.0x (kav.exe) has a vulnerability that would allow any user to completely
BYPASS the "password protection" in order to change settings or completely disable/exit KAV. There are dosens of
shareware/freeware applications available on the internet that a user with malicious intentions could use to leverage
this new vulnerability in KAV. The main 2 that I've tested so far are "Enabler" and "Ramcleaner" by securitysoftware.cc
and cyberlat.com respectively.

Method Using RAMcleaner: Password protect the KAV interface. Open RAM Cleaner and click "task-cleaner", then select the
KAV.exe process with the thread-caption "Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal" and SIMPLY click "Activate Program". The
password dialog will be COMPLETELY bypassed and ALL settings will be freely available for alteration INCLUDING changing
the password, or subsiquenly using a generic password recovery utility to view the password in cleartext.

It has been nearly 2 1/2 weeks since I have sent multiple reports on this exploit to Kaspersky Labs and almost 2 months
since I have discovered and verified it. I have recieved no response whatsoever, not even to tell me "your information
has been noted". Perhaps the ability to fully disable your AV security measures by any old user that walks off the
street into your place of business isn't considered a critical-enough exploit to warrant a reply.

-c4p0ne