Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

RE: key material

From: "Burton M. Strauss III" <BStrauss () acm org>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 12:12:04 -0500

Read the papers on the Lottery machines.

The output of the PRNGs passed all the standard tests for randomness.

The only problem was that when you looked at the TOTAL UNIVERSE of quick
pick tickets that COULD be generated, they didn't cover the universe of
possible numbers and tickets.  The constant resets of the machines made
things much worse...

I guess it depends upon your usage of the PRNG output.  It could be that for
some applications (many? most???) a number of seed bits < the key size is
ok.  But for sampling it's clearly not.

What happens if your PRNG doesn't generate all possible random #s for you to
test for primality?  Don't know.  That depends upon your application.

But I'm very leery of any system that assumes you can't enumerate a small
number of things (and the outputs of simple transformations against them) as
a cracking technology - we've seen CDs available with the hashes of all
possible passwords for a simple reverse lookup process.

Primes are sparse enough that if your PRNG only has 64 bits of seed, it
might be possible to generate the reverse lookup table.  Maybe not today,
but within the lifespan that the protected data still has value.

-----Burton