Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

RE: key material

From: "Greg Kilford" <greg_kilford () hotmail com>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 08:25:03 -0600

So u are suggesting 1024/2048 bits size/length for A to seed the PRNG and then after that the output stream O could be drawn to provide the bits for RSA 1024/2048 bits modulo key materials generation?

A few of us are inclined towards this, but a few of my pals seem to think weirdly. They feel that 64/128 or even 192 bits would have sufficed. Their argument is that the symmetric and asymmetric crypto "strength" would means that such length/size of A would match up. A few years back, Schneier commented in a paper on the comparison of crypto "strength" between symmetric and asymmetric key sizes (something like 80bits symm key is equivalent to 1024bits asymm RSA key). But I really disagree that the crypto strength has anythin to do with RNG. What does everyone think?