Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

I've found the Allchin bug.

From: "Dave Korn" <davek_throwaway () hotmail com>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 01:29:33 +0000

[Refs:
http://www.avet.com.pl/pipermail/bugdev/2002-August/000137.html
http://theregister.co.uk/content/archive/25194.html
]

Nope. You're wrong. He wasn't referring to windows message queues, he was referring to MSMQ. You'll find that MSMQ has GUID

   Interface UUID: 77df7a80-f298-11d0-8358-00a024c480a8
   Interface Ver: 1
   Interface Ver Minor: 0

and that opnums 6, 7 and 8 are quite clearly MQLocateBegin, MQLocateNext and MQLocateEnd. Try passing an overly-long string as an MQRESTRICTION to the MQLocateBegin function, and you'll find a unicode heap overflow in mqsvc.exe that lets you overwrite an arbitrary address with an arbitrary long.

You'll also find that this works in w2k sp2, and not in sp4; I haven't tested sp3 yet. Looks like they quietly fixed it up without any great publicity.....

If anyone needs further convincing, I'll tidy up and post my p-o-c code, but I think it's pretty clear from his words that he meant MSMQ and not the underlying win32 api.

        DaveK

--
moderator of alt.talk.rec.soc.biz.news.comp.humanities.meow.misc.moderated.meow
Burn your ID card!  http://www.optional-identity.org.uk/

Tired of 56k? Get a FREE BT Broadband connection http://www.msn.co.uk/specials/btbroadband