Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Anyone looked at the canary stack protection in Win2k3?

From: Mark Feldman <mkfeldman () myway com>
Date: 6 Aug 2003 10:05:18 -0000

Hi thomas
There is no need for a tool like IDA pro when you've got source code
available under your Visual C++ 7.0 CRT\SRC directory.
The security check is enabled by adding the /GS option to the compiler's
command line.

These two links will explain microsoft's stack smashing protection:

http://std.dkuug.dk/JTC1/SC22/WG21/docs/papers/2003/n1462.pdf

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-
us/dv_vstechart/html/vctchCompilerSecurityChecksInDepth.asp

Regards,
Mark Feldman <mkfeldman () myway com>