Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

RE: Windows XP Service Pack1 problem with activation

From: "Burton M. Strauss III" <bstrauss3 () attbi com>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 16:46:43 -0500

I'm not a lawyer, but the mfg would have a heck of an argument that you have
exceeded the specifications for the vehicle.  Remember that phrase in the
owners manual telling you to observe the posted speed limit and other
traffic laws???

Under the doctrine of contributory negligence, the jury would be required to
apportion the blame - to all the parties that contributed to the tort.

The closing argument for the defense in the penalty phase.  "Please remember
that - while you the jury have found that our product possessed a
manufacturing defect - only because THAT MAN (point dramatically) CHOOSE to
recklessly exceed the posted speed limit by OVER 45 MILES AN HOUR, weaving
in and out of traffic and endangering everyone around him... ONLY because of
his own reckless acts was he so badly injured.   Please, please, when you
are considering the damage award, remember how HIS VERY OWN ACTIONS
contributed to the accident.  Thank you"

There is NO WAY that Microsoft can be responsible for somebody making
changes to internals and to un-published interfaces.  Not legally and not
morally.  If you want to run xp-antispy, then un-install it (returning the
system to the manufacturer's configuration), apply the update and then
re-install the OEM product.  That way, if the OEM product breaks something,
well, you can take it up with the proper party - the OEM.  Not Microsoft.

If you want to keep the car analogy, take your vehicle into the dealer for
service when you've changed out the engine control chip for a
performance-mod one.  "Sorry, sir, but we can't service the vehicle because
you've altered the manufacturers settings."

-----Burton