Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Windows XP authentification

From: Jonathan Bloomquist <jsbloom () adelphia net>
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2002 14:14:11 -0400

On Friday 06 September 2002 07:33, HalbaSus wrote:
Now I don't know if this is a vulnerability, a feature or a bug..  but it's
certanly anoying. On my home PC I have Windows XP and FreeBSD 4.6.
Yesterday XP crashed because of a scandisk process (on somedoy's else hdd).
I removed the other hdd and booted windows XP... "Your password has expired
and must be changed"
But... Neither the Administrator account's password or my user password
didn't worked. Making imposible to log in. I booted in FreeBSD mounted the
windows drive and everything seems fine... BTW, I instaled Windows XP as an
upgrade to a previous windows 98 could this be the problem ? Does anybody
know where the password file is located ?
Does anybody know what could have caused this ? (maybe the password file
got damaged (yet scandisk and fsck did not reported any damaged files))

I don't know what might have caused that, but you might try LinNT to overwrite
the administrator password:

http://www.nttoolbox.com/public/tools/LinNT.zip