Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Vendor Changelogs /Notifications

From: quentyn () fotango com
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2002 19:45:48 +0100

This is really a generic query

Is it appropriate to send notifications to public lists if you spot that
a vendor has fixed a serious security hole ( mentioned only in the
change log) but hasn't sent any notification and doesn't have any
notification on their site ? Other than using the product ( and reading
change logs) I have had nothing to do with this issue.

My concern is that people may continue to run the affected version with
out noticing that there is a fix. Certainly, certain vendors appear to
be quite good about posting to bugtraq etc. al to inform of problems and
fixes in their products, others appear not so pro-active about informing
people.

--
Quentyn Taylor