Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Hashes,File protection,etc

From: Dave Aitel <dave () immunitysec com>
Date: 14 Oct 2002 15:34:55 -0400

On Mon, 2002-10-14 at 15:59, Dan Kaminsky wrote:
Dave Aitel wrote:

On Mon, 2002-10-14 at 14:40, Dan Kaminsky wrote:

For remotely computed data / hashes, you can't -- thus the folly of
trusting MD5 hashes on critical files downloaded off of untrusted
servers.  If somebody can modify the tarball, they can probably modify
the hash too.

Well, not always, if there is a semi-trusted third party or two - see
http://www.immunitysec.com/hashdb.html for one implementation of this
sort of thing.

Cool stuff there!  Maybe host the DB over DNS or something trivial.
 hash.filename.immunitysec.com :-)

Incidentally, Bitzi was/is trying to do something like your stuff for
arbitrary data -- they didn't care what(P2P), they just hosted the
translation between hash to content.  Genuinely cool crypto, using
Merkle's old Hash Tree concept.

The great thing about hash trees is that you don't need the entire file
to find out you're being fed bad data.

I believe Bitzi opened their code, too:  www.bitzi.com.

--Dan

Cool. I'd go look at that, but 10000 people are currently grabbing SPIKE
Proxy or SPIKE looking for that IIS DoS, which means my network
connection is swamped. I squeeze my e-mail through, though. :>

Any solution to this problem would be good - be it mine, or something
else. I'm really tired of hearing about opensource.tar.gz getting
trojaned. If Ximian, Freshmeat.net, Akamai or something would host a
HashDB server, we could be done with that stuff once and for all. As it
is, you're only protected for files that I have bothered to go out and
grab, or validated off of announcements.

--
Dave Aitel <dave () immunitysec com>
Immunity, Inc