Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Thinking about Security rules...

From: Harvey Newstrom <mail () HarveyNewstrom com>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 21:05:27 -0400

On Thursday, May 9, 2002, at 03:47 pm, Ray Parks wrote:
  Just remember this aphorism - Depth without Breadth is useless.
  We engaged in a series of experiments within the DARPA IA program in
which we proved that Defense in Depth is an over-rated concept.  Layered
defenses can actually be weaker than single defenses because
administrators/developers think that another layer is providing the defense
they are ignoring.  The results of these experiments were recorded in a
paper, unfortunately I don't have a cite at this time.
  Bottom line - we were able to get through layers of defense in depth
because we could attack each layer in a different way.  This allowed
attacks to woogle through to the goal despite multiple layers of defense.

I have seen similar studies long ago relating to alarm monitoring. Items being monitored by multiple people had worse response times than items monitored by a single person! It turned out that people would frequently be lax and assume that someone else was handling it.

I have also seen this scenario in help desk or message queues. Some ringing phones or e-mails would remain unanswered for days because everybody was answering other items and assumed the missed item would be caught by somebody else somewhere.

--
Harvey Newstrom, CISSP <www.HarveyNewstrom.com>
Principal Security Consultant <www.Newstaff.com>